The Peace Symbol was designed by Gerald Holtum, in England in 1958 for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. It is the combination of two semaphore letters, N and D for Nuclear Disarmament, surrounded by a circle.
"Ban the Bomb" - Gerald Holtom's design for Nuclear Disarmament- he used letters from the semaphore - or flag-signalling - alphabet, super-imposing N is Nuclear on D is Disarmament and placing them within a circle symbolizing Earth.
Gerald Herbert Holtom January 1914 – 18 September 1985 British professional designer and artist. In 1958 he designed the logo of the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), which became an international peace symbol
the peace symbol, widely used by the hippies in the sixties. Was a major symbol for those folk, which even had a hand gesture associated with it, but like anarchy this design has become more commercial and branded.
Looks oddly like it was influenced by a stroll through Gamla Stan, 'Houses' fabric, designed by Joy Jarvis for Gerald Holtom. UK, and available as a copy through The Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
Gerald Holtom, wanted to create a symbol for marchers to carry on banners and signs at a "Ban the Bomb" march planned by the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War (DAC). The event was Britain's first major demonstration against nuclear weapons -- a 52-mile march from London to the town of Aldermaston, home to an A-bomb research center.