173 Pins
a house with trees and bushes in the front yard
a row of faucets mounted to the side of a white tiled wall in a public restroom
Security Check Required
Tenacity Beers
there is a sign that says firefly brewing on it
A first look at Tenacity Brewing in Flint
A first look into Tenacity Brewing, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, located at 119 N Grand Traverse St, in a newly renovated fire hall building in Flint. The brewery is currently open every week from Thursday through Saturday 5 p.m. till Midnight. Sam Owens | MLive.com
there are many bottles on the shelves in this room
Tenacity Brewing on Twitter
Tenacity Brewing on Twitter: "There's new stuff from Hard as #Flint in the General Store! http://t.co/FICRNkHGO5"
a man riding a bike down a street next to cement structures with green paint on them
Flint's Grand Fountain flows green for St. Patrick's Day
The fountain turned green early Tuesday morning - with green vegetable dye.
the view from an open window looking out onto a park
#umflint #university of #michigan #flint #library #thompson #trees #view #colors #autumn #fall #river #window #sky #morning Photo by jpdd91
a yellow duck crossing sign sitting on the side of a road next to a body of water
Panoramio is no longer available
Columbiaville. Brief history: Chippewa Indians were the earliest settlers on Lapeer's some what rolling countryside, and Archaeologists have discovered sites throughout the county. As always the river was of major importance for the Indians as well as the white man who later came. This river (Flint) was called Pe-Ong-Go See-Be, and the translation was Treasure store of stone, very important to the indians. It is known that indians camped on the north side of the river near the bridge. Just east of Klam Road at Piersonville 2 indian mounds were found and in Oregon Township on the high banks of the river near stanley road there were burial grounds. The entire area is amass with indian trails, camps, and artifacts. The 1st white settlers were Ephraim Clute and Abijah Willey in 1836 looking for land in which to settle, they came form New York State. Ephriam Clute ( 1804 - 1897) and Abijah Willey (1793 - 1871) arrived to a place behind the old Willey School site on North Lake Road. Oct 13, 1837 Abraham Hollenbeck (1796 - 1843) who had bought the northwest quarter of section 21 in 1836 moved in with a large family. And thus the population begins. The first settler of the site that becomes the Village of Columbiaville was Levi D. Cutting born Dec 1, 1820 in the town of Marshfield, Vermont, then at age 15 his family moved to Seneca County N.Y., and afterwards to Hartland, Niagara County, N.Y. Mr. Cutting was married in 1842 to Eliza M. Warner of Niagara County N.Y., and they had one son David. In 1847 they moved to Marathon Township and settled where Columbiaville now stands. His house still stands at the corner of Water and Lapeer Streets. His wife died 1873 and in 1875 he married Abbie Hopkins who operated the first Ice Cream Parlor in the Village. Mr. Cutting served as Village President and Fire Warden. He died in Grand Rapids Oct 31, 1909 and in buried at Woodlawn Cemetery.  Families Histories of Early Settlers: Ephraim Clute born June 8, 1804 Saratoga, Saratoga County New York. Marries first Adelia Phillips of Wany County, New York in 1833, by whom he had 3 children. The children were Roxanna (Mrs. William Peter) born 1835, Edwin, and Adelia. Edwin died July 24, 1839, age 4 months; Adelia died March 27, 1839 age 5. The wife Adelia died Oct 27, 1841 age 27. In 1843 Ephraim marries Maria Gifford a native of Eastern N.Y., and they have 2 children; son Summer born 1844, and a daughter named Calista born 1852 who marries Judge Elmore Brown. Ephraim Clute age 92 dies 1897 and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Columbiaville Michigan. Abijah Willey born Dec 24, 1793 came from New York with his family of 3 sons and 3 daughters, the oldest son Seth was born near Saratoga Springs N.Y., in 1817. Abjiha born Savannah, Wayne County N.Y., 1833. Abijah died March 20, 1871 and his wife Harriet died Oct 5,1854. A grand daughter of Seth Willey was Mrs. George (Harriet) McIntyre. Abraham Hollenbeck born Feb 19, 1796 and came here from Columbia County N.Y., and he died Sept 16, 1843 and his wife Jane nee Gardner died Sept 6, 1868. They have many descendents which include; Ratie Herfurth, Eva Burch, and the Late Probate Judge Glen Hollenbeck, as well as Ray Hollenbeck postmaster of Metamora, Dr. John J. Blue and also Dr. Max Burnell. OTHER SETTLERS: David Burritt (1800-1860) moved here in 1838 Andrew McArthur (1793 - 1869) Martin Valentine (1793 -1869) moved here Sept 28, 1838. Asa Phillips / Harvey Perkins / Benjamin Niles / Amsa Wood (1788-1872)/ A.J.Richards / Chauncey Phillips/ Col. Needham Hemingway (1793 - 1878 ) and 2 sons Henry and Isaac. / George Aurand (1784 - 1854 ) and his sons George, Jacob, Andrew, and Daniel. Dennis Lawrence (1819 - 1912 ) and family and then later his brothers Joseph and Levi Lawrence. Chauncey Maxfield / Leander LeValley / Mortimer LeValley/ W.W.Wagner / B.J.Harris / Abram Purdy / Edwin Richmond/ W.W.Brown / David Haskell / James Petteys.  In 1852 a young man working in the saw mill of Nivers decides to start his own business and then begins the career of William Peter. He builds a 2 story building on the corner of Lapeer and Middle Streets, and opens the first store in Columbiaville. There after a Mr. Alfred Pettit builds a Wagon shop, and later Reuben McArthur erected a building at the north end of of Lapeer Street for a store but did not use it. It was sold to John and Peter VanDyke who enlarged it and fitted it for a hotel. It was later sold to a man named Farrel and thus became called Farrel House. Later the name was changed to the Columbiaville Exchange owned by Elson Walt, later a Lapeer County Sheriff. In 1861 it is noted that Columbiaville has seven houses, and a store. In 1864 the Richards Brothers buy the old Nivers Sawmill property from William Peter and erect a Grist Mill the first one in the township. Soon after Thomas McDowell builds a store on Pine and Lapeer Streets. Later the store is sold to Dr. Congdon who was also served as Postmaster. Mr. Peter's store is bought by W.P.Wheeler. In 1872 the Railroads coming induces others to open up business's among them are General Store of D. Lawrence, Pool Room owned by Mr. O.I. Brant, the Grover Temperance Hotel on Pine Street, Cabinet Maker A.W.Fox, Shoemaker Jim Moore, Harness Shop of Mr. D. Adams, Foundry of D.N. Laing. 1877 William Peter strikes a deal with Mr. Johnston to saw timber, from logs floated down the river, at the sawmill erected at the west end of Pine and Water Streets. At the time the village enjoyed it's greatest proserity. In 1879 Mr.Peter erected a large Steam Grist and Flouring Mill on Water Street next to the railroad track. In 1800 he erected a 2story brick building as a general store containing his business and banking office. In the next 10 years he also built the hotel block that was to be known as Marathon House; a livery barn; opera house; meat market; lumber shed; and in 1884 the woolen mill, all made brick and from his brick yard north of town. The Planing Mill was built by Alexander Johnston in 1882 at the south end of 1st street. It was a brick structure and employed at one time of about 50 people. From this time on their was a division of Business in village with the old business district on Lapeer Street being called Up Town, and Mr. Peter's area on the west side known as Down Town. The business's were as follows in 1883: 2 - Sawmills / 2- Planing Mills and Sash, Door, Blind manufacturies; one stave; one shingle and heading manufactory; one flouring, and one custom mill, one foundry and one machine shop, one brick yard, four dry goods and general stores, one hardware, two drug stores, one furniture store, two hotels, two wagon shops, one farm store, one bakery, one harness shop, 3 blacksmiths, 3 shoe stores, 3 millnery shops, one fancy goods store, 2 meat markets, one photograph gallery, one barber shop, one printing shop, and one weekly newspaper.  Page 1 of many to come. Please give credit to those who volunteer and to those who keep it free! Information gathered from notes of my Grandfather's Family who were residents of Columbiaville as well as Marathon Township. The Johnson /Tibbetts / LeValley/ Betzing Family
a stream running through a lush green hillside
GILKEY CREEK runs along the south edge of Charles Stewart Mott's Applewood’s property as it makes its way to the Flint River. In 2007, the Ruth Mott Foundation embarked on a special project called “daylighting” to route the creek out of old underground culverts and restored it to a healthy waterway using innovative urban creek restoration practices. There is a very pleasant walking trail along the creek.
a stream running through a forest filled with lots of trees
Nature Trail in Flushing, Michigan. Creek feeding into Flint River
a man standing on top of a waterfall next to a wooden structure with water flowing over it
Photo of the day: Stepping Stone Falls
Stepping Stone Falls, This manmade falls holds back the Flint River, creating the 600-acre Mott Lake.
the city is lit up at night and reflecting in the water
Transforming the landscape in Flint, Michigan
Rosalind Brown, on April 30, 1985, 11 year old Christopher Brown's body was recovered from the Flint River in Michigan...which police thought at that time was accidental. It took 22 years for justice to be served because of his mother refusal to give up. Tears of anger, sadness and relief streamed from the eyes of many, when on May 24, 2007 Rosalind Brown was arrested for poisoning her step-son. Sentenced to life without parole, September 22, 2008. Hair Styles, Crime, People, Dreadlocks, Female, Step Son, Boys Food, Murderess, Human
Rosalind Brown
Rosalind Brown, on April 30, 1985, 11 year old Christopher Brown's body was recovered from the Flint River in Michigan...which police thought at that time was accidental. It took 22 years for justice to be served because of his mother refusal to give up. Tears of anger, sadness and relief streamed from the eyes of many, when on May 24, 2007 Rosalind Brown was arrested for poisoning her step-son. Sentenced to life without parole, September 22, 2008.
a black and white photo of a bridge over water with cranes in the background on a cloudy day
Harrison Street Bridge
The Harrison Street bridge, and the Flint River, before the construction of Riverbank Park. Flint, Michigan, Circa 1977.
a body of water surrounded by trees and dirt hill in the middle of the forest
Flint River Reflection and Poem
Flint River Reflection and Poem - Flint River Project
three men in a row boat on flooded street
50 dramatic images of historic Flint floods going back 100 years
50 dramatic images of historic Flint floods going back 100 years | MLive.com