St. Louis Union Station when it still had trains. The station opened on September 1, 1894 and was expanded in 1903 to accommodate visitors for the upcoming world's fair. Amtrak stopped using Union Station on October 31, 1978.
This close up view of the tower was taken on August 21, 1961, looking east. The operator’s platform was located on the second floor while the mechanical “guts” of the interlocking machine took up most of the first floor. Prior to the 1937 merger of the DM&N and D&IR the name of this tower was West DM&N Junction. (Image: C.F. Sager, Twin Ports Rail History Collection)