Cocke Family Homes
72 Pins 39w
Susan Poe Love
Colonial Williamsburg | The World's Largest Living History Museum
Not exactly a folly… One of a pair of octagonal brick privies Thomas Jefferson built at Poplar Forest, his retreat about 90 miles south of Monticello. The privy, in the 18th century was called the necessary house or, more simply, the necessary. This little structure, of brick or wood, painted or unpainted, of vernacular or high-style design, was also known as a bog, boghouse, boggard, or bog-shop; a temple, a convenience, or temple of convenience; terms that descend from the Middle Ages.
The Grounds at Mount Pleasant
River facade of the house - Mount Pleasant, Spring Grove, Virginia, was first settled by the English in 1620 as a plantation called Pace’s Paines & was continuously inhabited, in the 17th century the property was controlled by the Swann family & throughout most of the 18th century it belonged to the Cocke family, notably John Hartwell Cocke, builder of Bremo. The plantation system was in full-flower at Mount Pleasant during the residence of John Hartwell Cocke II, 1803-1809.